Content Type HUB
Earlier we created a site content type that was specific to one site collection. What if a user has multiple site collections (example 50) and wants to publish a content type company wide. This is where you would use a Content Type HUB (a hidden site collection). If you are working on a hub site that publishes content types to other site collections, you can publish, republish, or unpublish content types centrally across all site collections.
Introduction to content types and content type publishing: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Introduction-to-content-types-and-content-type-publishing-E1277A2E-A1E8-4473-9126-91A0647766E5
Because content types include metadata, content types and metadata are very closely linked. A Managed Metadata service in SharePoint makes it possible to publish a content type to the sites where it is used. Sites and site collections that are part of the Managed Metadata service are called “subscriber sites”.
A Managed Metadata service must be explicitly created and configured. To include content type publishing, the administrator specifies a specific site collection as a hub. Connected applications and site collections can subscribe to the content types on the hub. By configuring Managed Metadata services, you make it possible to centrally manage content types. Content types are created at the hub site, and any updates can be automatically distributed to the subscriber sites.
NOTE: You must be a Site Collection Administrator to manage content type publishing on a hub site
Using the Content Type HUB to publish content types:
- The Content Type HUB would have the feaure Content Type Syndication Hub feature activated
- You can check this by navigating to the Site Settings > Site Collection features > Content Type Syndication Hub > Activate
- When this feature is activated you will be able to manage the publishing for the content type
- Navigate to the content type hub (this is a hidden site collection so you will have to use the URL)
- Follow the same steps of adding a content type to a site, however do this on the Content Type Hub so that it is accessible across site collections for the entire tenant.
- Once the Content Type is added the Content Type Hub > Click “manage the publishing for the content type” > Publish > Ok
- In approximately 5 minutes the Content type will be accessible by all the site collections and could be added the any list.
Find More Information:
Publish a content type from a content publishing hub: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Publish-a-content-type-from-a-content-publishing-hub-58081155-118D-4E7A-9CC5-D43B5DBB7D02