Content types enable organizations to organize, manage, and handle content in a consistent way across a site collection. By defining content types for specific kinds of documents or information products, an organization can ensure that each of these groups of content is managed in a consistent way. Example: If you have a company template (company logo, address, phone number, email address etc.) that should be used on all the documents. Not all your employees might add the desired properties in the same way. Some might enter it in a different order, some might enter a different email address so on and so forth. To make this a consistent template we can add it as a content type.
To add a content type to a site and assign it to a document library:
- To add any content type we would first need to add it to a site and we would need a template.
- For this exercise I have created one company brochure template that might be used by the company sales team.
- We will now add these templates to our site | Site Actions > Site Settings > Web Designer Galleries > Site Content types > Create
- Fill in the required fields > Create
- Once the Content type is created you will need to assign a template to it (the brochure template we created earlier)
- Advanced Settings > Document Templates (since we don’t have an existing template on our site we uploaded a new document template) > select the other options > Ok
- Now that your content type is created and updated on the site lets assign it to a document library
- Navigate to the document library > Library settings > Advanced Settings > Allow management of content types? > Yes > Save
- Now click on “Add from existing site content types” under Content Types in the Library Settings
- Search for the content type > Select the content type that you created > Add > Ok
- You can add multiple content types if you like. For this exercise I only added one.
- You will now find the content type in the document library.
Introduction to content types: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Introduction-to-content-types-F8D203DF-9567-400D-913C-42DDBF070879
Add a content type to a list or library: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Add-a-content-type-to-a-list-or-library-917366AE-F7A2-47AD-87A5-9689A1884E60?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Introduction to content types and content type publishing: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Introduction-to-content-types-and-content-type-publishing-E1277A2E-A1E8-4473-9126-91A0647766E5
Create a site content type: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Create-a-site-content-type-7458F459-6BB4-43C6-AC4E-E51BC6E28099