Enable Online Archiving with Retention Policies
Online Archiving is similar to creating a .pst or .ost file in the Outlook client application.
To enable Online Archiving:
- Navigate to the Exchange Admin Center | Office 365 Admin Center > Admin (bottom left) > Exchange
- Select Recipients > Mailboxes > search for the mailbox and select it
- You will see “In-Place Archive” towards the left > Click “Enable” to enable online archiving
- Once Online Archiving is enabled you will see an additional folder added to your mailbox
- You can either drag and drop the file to your Online Archive folder or create rules (retention policies) to move files.
- For this exercise lets create a retention policy that will move emails older than one year to Archive.
- Navigate to the Exchange Admin Center > Compliance Management
- Select the “retention tag” tab
- Create a new tag by click the “+” icon
- After the default tag is created click the “retention policies” tab.
- Create a new “Retention Policy” > give it a name and assign the tag that you created earlier
- Now we apply the retention policy to the mailbox
- Navigate to recipients > mailboxes > search for the mailbox > edit > Select “Mailbox Features”
- Select the “Retention Policy” dropdown > and select the retention policy that you created earlier
- NOTE: it takes 7 days for the retention policy to get applied.