A Document Set is a group of related documents that you can manage as a single entity. You can create a Document Set in a single step, and then define its characteristics and metadata. You can manage the set as a single entity.
Creating Document Sets:
- Content Types grouped together in a set are called document sets.
- So to created document sets you would first need some content types with similar characteristics.
- Navigate to the top level Site for the site collection > Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Collection Features
- Document Sets > Activate
- Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Content Types > Create
- Select the required files to make it a document set > Ok
- The container for the Document Set is now created
- I had previously uploaded 5 content types to add to this Document set
- Click “Document Set Settings” > Add the content types that you want to the list of allowed Content types > I left everything else to default > Ok
- Once the Document Set is created with Content types in it you can add it to any list or library in the same way you add a content type | List > List settings > Add from existing Content Types > Select the document set > Add
- After adding a Document Set you will see it in the document library under “library settings”.
- Let’s make the content types available for use via the “+ New” button
- Click “Change new button order and default content type”
- Select the list of content types that you want to appear
- Your Content Types are now available for use.
Introduction to Document Sets: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Introduction-to-Document-Sets-3DBCD93E-0BED-46B7-B1BA-B31DE2BCD234
Create and configure a new Document Set content type: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Create-and-configure-a-new-Document-Set-content-type-9DB6D6DC-C23A-4DCD-A359-3E4BBBC47FC1