In-Place eDiscovery in Exchange Online: Exporting a Mailbox via eDiscovery
- Browser: Internet Explorer
- Member of the following RBAG Groups: Compliance Management and Discovery Management
- Mailbox Import/Export Role needs to be added in the Discovery Management RBAG Group
- Navigate to the Exchange Admin Center (EAC) > Permissions
- Compliance Management > Edit > Members (towards the bottom) > Add your account there > Save
- Discovery Management > Edit > Roles > Add the Mailbox Import/Export Role
- Discovery Management > > Edit > Members (towards the bottom) > Add your account there > Save
- These permissions will take approximately 10 minutes to replicate.
- Once done navigate to Compliance management. You would eventually see the following icons:
Now that our prerequisites are met lets create an eDiscovery search and export the results.
- Navigate to the “Compliance Management” tab > in-place eDiscovery & hold > “+” New
- Give the search a Name > Next > Specify a Mailbox to search (Select the mailbox)
- You can then choose to “Include all content” or “Filter based on criteria”
- Filter based on criteria will give you additional control of what needs to be found.
- You can select a date range, From, To or Message type
- Once the required options are selected > Next > Finish
- If you choose to place the search on hold keep in mind that In-Place Hold is a premium feature that requires an Exchange Online Plan 2 or Exchange Online Archiving license to enable it for each user mailbox https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.eac.LearnMoreCAL(EXCHG.150).aspx?v=15.1.639.13&l=1&s=BPOS_S_E15_0
- Once done you search will be Queued > Keep refreshing every 1 minute and your search will complete.
- Once your search is complete you will something similar to the following:
- Click on the download button > select a location on your desktop > save
- The Export process will take time.
- Once the export is done you can view the results/emails by attaching the .pst file to Outlook.