How to move an azure subscription from one tenant to another
If you already have an active Azure subscription, skip the first part.
- First access the your MPN Azure Subscription via the link https://my.visualstudio.com/Benefits
- You would get an option to activate your Azure Subscription if you have just purchased it.
- You will be asked to complete a registration form and agreement.
- After filling the form > it would start the process of setting up your Azure subscription
- Once your azure subscription is set up you will be redirected to https://portal.azure.com
- Navigate to the Subscriptions blade via https://portal.azure.com/?feature.quickstart=true#blade/Microsoft_Azure_Billing/SubscriptionsBlade
- For this exercise we will be using 2 tenants. We will be moving the Azure subscription from the source tenant (tenantA.com) to the destination tenant (tenantB.com):
- Source Tenant: TenantA.com
- Destination Tenant: TenantB.com
- Your Subscription is associated with tenant (tenantA.com), let’s start bymoving the subscription from one tenant to another tenant (tenantB.com)
- We need to add the Destination tenant directory (tenantB.com) to the Source Directory (tenantA.com).
- To add the destination directory (tenantB.com) the user in the source directory (tenantA.com), needs to be added to the destination directory (tenantB.com) as an Azure B2B Guest user.
- After this the user in the source directory (tenantA.com), will be able to switch directories to the destination directory (tenantB.com)
Invite the user as a B2B guest:
- Sign in to the destination directory (tenantB.com) via portal.azure.com > Azure Active Directory > Users > New Guest User
- You can also do this via PowerShell
New-AzureADMSInvitation -InvitedUserDisplayName “Name of the User” -InvitedUserEmailAddress SourceDirectoryUser@tenantA.com -InviteRedirectURL https://myapps.azure.com -SendInvitationMessage $true
- Once the user is added as a guest > Navigate to the source directory (tenantA.com) > Click on the Profile Picture > Switch directory >
- If you see the other Destination Directory (tenantB.com), you know that another directory is added.
- Then navigate to the subscriptions tab in the source directory (tenantA.com) https://portal.azure.com/?feature.quickstart=true#blade/Microsoft_Azure_Billing/SubscriptionsBlade
- Click on “Change Directory”
- Select the directory that you want to move this subscription to, Destination Directory (tenantB.com) > Change:
- This process will take approx. 5 minutes and then the subscription will be moved to the Destination Directory (tenantB.com).