What happens to a user’s data after the user is deleted from AAD and then from SharePoint Online.
To test this, we will first create a user, delete the user from AAD, there by making it an orphaned user in SPO (test) and then delete the user from SPO (test)
- Test user: Trix.Bunny@support365.ml created with E5 license
- Onedrive for Business provisioned with 2 items
- Navigated to the SPO root site and created 2 items
- The user is available in the people picker
- The user is a part of the site collection
- The user does have a SPO user profile
Let’s delete the user from AAD:
- The user is removed from AAD and from the recycle bin
- Since the member email@example.com is just deleted; the users ODB site is marked for deletion and will be deleted in 30 days, unless a retention policy is in place.
- The user’s data in SPO is still available along with meta data
- The Orphaned user is present in the SPO site collection
Let’s delete the user from SharePoint:
- The user is deleted from the SPO site collection
- The users profile is deleted from SPO
- The user is not available in the people picker
- The user is not in the SPO site collection
- From the screenshot below we see that that user’s data is present in SPO
- We will re-index the site and check the behavior after 24 hours.
- The user data is still available along with metadata.